INVESTIGATION: Gunmen allegedly on revenge mission in Rivers after Wike’s brutal decimation of separatist group | NN NEWS

Spread the love

By Kalu Nwokoro Idika

Details have emerged why gunmen suspected to be members of the outlawed Indigenous People Of Biafra (IPOB), decided to launch multiple attacks against security formations and its operatives in Rivers State.

The attacks by the gunmen so far have resulted to the unfortunate death of over 20 security operatives and leaving several others with life threatening injuries.

A source who spoke with Elombahnews from Rivers State said that the gunmen are on a revenge mission after the executive governor of Rivers State used military force to decimate and render the activities of the secessionist movement across the 23 local government area of the State ineffective last year.

Although the source said the whole bad blood between the governor and the separatist group started after the mayhem that greeted the botched #Endsars protest.

It also added that the present attacks in the State have made many people who were formerly in support of the group to withdraw it immediately.

“What is happening now in Rivers State is nothing but a revenge mission. This is the aftermath of what transpired in Oyigbo during #Endsars. The gunmen are members of IPOB and there is no need denying it. When looking at the antecedents of the group and its leader, Nnamdi Kanu, one do not need further explanation to understand the entire security problem in Rivers”.

The source continued, “Many of our people here have stopped supporting Nnamdi Kanu and IPOB. We can’t be supporting a group that kills at will.”

Recall that governor Wike proscribed the Indigenous People Of Biafra (IPOB) in the State after it was accused of killing six military officers and four police operatives in Oyigbo Local government of the State during the #Endsars protest. IPOB was also accused of destroying and looting Oyigbo police station and Magistrate court.

Governor Wike who was formerly in the good book of the separatist movement ordered security operatives to hunt down the arrowheads of IPOB who were allegedly responsible for the carnage in Oyigbo.

The manhunt culminated to the arrest and killing of both innocent civilians and suspected members of the group. Till date, some members of the movement who were arrested by security operatives are yet to be released. Many who abandoned their businesses and homes during the infamous military raid refused to return back.

A security source who also spoke with Elombahnews said, based on investigation by all the security agencies in the State, they have uncovered plans by the separatist movement to launch even more bizarre attacks in the State.

“We have it on the book that IPOB operating under the guise of unknown gunmen is planning to launch more deadly attacks in the State. The State government is working very closely to arrest the situation. We won’t let criminals take over Rivers State.”

However, as one of the measures to tackle the rising insecurity in the State, Governor Wike after a security council meeting on Monday announced the review of the State wide curfew from 7pm in the evening to 6am.

Follow us on social medias platform – Twitters – NN News – NN News Team – Facebook pages/group – NN News – NN News Team – NN News Group – PARLER – NN News – NN NEWS TEAM 

Comment on the article for thoughtful opinions will count. NN News will remove threats, harassments and other violations. If you’re having issues with commenting, please let us know.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *